Saturday, 27 June 2009 08:03
KeePassX is an application for people with extremly high demands on secure personal data management. It has a light interface, is cross platform and published under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
KeePassX saves many different information e.g. user names, passwords, urls, attachments and comments in one single database.
For a better management user-defined titles and icons can be specified for each single entry. Furthermore the entries are sorted in groups,
which are customizable as well. The integrated search function allows to search in a single group or the complete database.
KeePassX offers a little utility for secure password generation. The password generator is very customizable, fast and easy to use.
Especially someone who generates passwords frequently will appreciate this feature.
The complete database is always encrypted either with AES (alias Rijndael) or Twofish encryption algorithm using a 256 bit key.
Therefore the saved information can be considered as quite safe. KeePassX uses a database format that is compatible with KeePass Password Safe.
This makes the use of that application even more favourable.
Originally KeePassX was called KeePass/L for Linux since it was a port of Windows password manager Keepass Password Safe.
After KeePass/L became a cross platform application the name was not appropriate anymore and therefore, it has been changed.
- Extensive management- title for each entry for its better identification
- possibility to determine different expiration dates
- insertion of attachments
- user-defined symbols for groups and entries
- fast entry dublication
- sorting entries in groups
- Search function
- search either in specific groups or in complete database
- Autofill (experimental)
- Database security
- access to the KeePassX database is granted either with a password, a key-file (e.g. a CD or a memory-stick) or even both.
- Automatic generation of secure passwords
- extremly customizable password generator for fast and easy creation of secure passwords
- Precaution features- quality indicator for chosen passwords- hiding all passwords behind asterisks
- Encryption- either the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) or the Twofish algorithm are used
- encryption of the database in 256 bit sized increments
- Import and export of entries
- import from PwManager (*.pwm) and KWallet (*.xml) files- export as textfile (*.txt)
- Operating system independent
- KeePassX is cross platform, so are the databases, as well
- Free software
KeePassX is free software, published under the terms of the General Public License, so you are not only free to use it free of charge, but also to redistribute it, to examine and/or modify it’s source code and to publish your modifications as long as you provide the same freedoms for your modified version.
Last Updated ( Saturday, 27 June 2009 08:19 )